Παρασκευή 25 Ιανουαρίου 2013

12 Most Accumulative Activities to Boost Your Business in Less than 10 Minutes

I talked with a woman who lived in Haight-Asbury during the 60’s. What she had to tell me was shocking to my romantic notions about the era. She said the peace and love movement did not change anything.

Do you think this is true? I know that I have felt the effect of changes from that tumultuous time. I have more opportunities than my mother or my grandmother, even in this recession. The way I choose to interpret her advice is to focus on the actions under my control that will lead to bigger changes down the line. This applies not only to social change, but how I run my business.

The following are twelve things you can do in less than 10 minutes to build your online presence. Keep a log of your activity and see what happens after doing at least one of these actions a day for one month.

1. Look at someone’s website before you respond

We usually respond in the moment to comments, mentions, and replies. Take some time and look at the commenter’s website or social media profile. Use that information to start a conversation.

2. On “Follow Friday,” mention one person specifically and say why

Tweets that mention four or five people tell me so little. Next time only mention one person/account that you support. Tell the world what makes them so awesome. Repeat as often as you feel like.

3. Read a blog post without scanning and leave a thoughtful comment

At least once a day, read one post with great attention to detail. Then leave a comment that builds on the conversation and invites a response from the author.

4. Sign up for a newsletter

MailChimp created Wavelength based on their “Email Genome Project” and it is a great tool to find some interesting lists. I have been using Unroll.me to manage my inbox. Remember, you can unsubscribe at any time.

5. Email a past contributor

If you accept guest posts, set up a page with some link love back to the authors. Show them how much you appreciated their time and effort. You can then send them a personal message reminding them of their work and invite them to write for you again.

6. Acknowledge people in your community and say thank you

I remember clearly the first time I read Kaarina Dillabough’s blog. She laid out the welcome mat and invited me in for some hot cocoa. We can all do this in our own way no matter the subject of our blog.

7. Add someone new to a Twitter list

Add people to a Twitter list when you want to learn more about them. Just make sure to check for updates periodically. It is a simple click to follow them when you know that it is worth your time to read their tweets.

8. “I saw this and thought of you”

We may not know our “friends” online that well, but over time we get a sense of their preferences. Send a nice message to them when you find something they would really dig.

9. Look at real time analytics

Real time analytics are perfect for stat junkies like me. They will give you instant feedback on how people use your website.

10. Write an outline on a notecard

Keep a stack of index cards near your computer. Immediately scribble an outline when you feel inspired to write. A sentence will not jog your memory, but an outline is half the work already done!

11. Share on Google+

Images and video really shine on Google+. Find a visually stunning picture to share and express a related thought. Follow Peg Fitzpatrick to see a master at work.

12. Ask a question

Everyone wants the chance to be an expert, let them have the spotlight! Crowdsourcing answers will give you a whole new perspective on things you thought you knew.

My log is a simple Excel spreadsheet with several columns; activity, time, date, how I felt, did I finish, and any observations. I will use my log to determine if there was any measurable effect to my business when I do my weekly stats review. If the link seems tenuous then it may not have mattered. That is when you can focus on how the activities made you feel. If you hate it, dump it, and move on.


by Susan Silver
http://12most.com/

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου