Κυριακή 5 Αυγούστου 2012

Up Sell or a Cross Sell

As many of you may know I own a media consultancy company called NRS Media. We consult to Radio, TV and Newspaper publishers and online media companies all over the world.

As you can appreciate it involves a lot of travel, and many of our staff are often on planes for weeks on end.

If you want to watch a great movie on air travel as a business person, I would recommend Up in the Air starring George Clooney. Some of the tricks and manoeuvers he goes through to get on some of his flights are very funny and I am sure many of our staff think the same as they contemplate their journeys.

One of the questions that I always ask when I arrive at the counter is “How busy is the flight today” if the answer is “Okay, not too bad, or full” I still always ask the next question.

“Can you block off the middle seat?” I ask, “I’ve got a bit of work to do and want to spread out”. Usually if they have one, they will do it for you.

You see, the middle seat is NOT the seat of choice for a frequent traveller, it’s a seat that nobody wants unless it’s the kids and they share it with each other. You see they don’t mind, it gives them the chance to play against each other with some new video game or a movie they can watch. If however you happen to get a seat in the middle, and in the very rare case I do have to take one, how do I say this, I am the smaller of the three passengers in the seat. To be truthful I am not small either. It is the worst seat on the plane and nobody wants to sit in it.

So the question is, would you pay for the seat to be FREE? Well some people would and one airline, my airline, Air New Zealand does just that.

It’s part of their new makeover on their new flash Boeing 777s. If the seat next to you is empty you can secure it if you part with $150. They also sell you the option to stretch out on a mini futon, sort of like a mini bed. As the saying goes two seats are better than one, and the middle seat is catapulted to “wow” status.

Not a bad idea, thinking outside the cockpit don’t you think. I love looking at other businesses for ideas. Media sales can be innovative too you know.U

Good selling


Mike Brunel
http://talkingmediasales.com/

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου