Πέμπτη 26 Απριλίου 2012

Transforming Cold Calls to Sales

To convert cold calls to sales, you must be organized and track your results. Use a simple CRM and sales tracking app like Base to manage your sales pipeline.

Years ago, I learned sales is a “numbers game”. Many prospects need to be contacted because only a small percentage will fall through the sales funnel to become actual clients.
On my first job, I was instructed to do a minimum of 100 cold calls per week in order to make my numbers at the end of the month.

The first few telephone calls and in person cold calls were terrifying, but over time it gradually became fun. My attitude became, I love getting paid for meeting new people! One of my sales managers was aghast when he saw me take a client, who had been in our office for a demo, across the street to the shoe store having a sale. I made good friends with most of my clients.
Fast forward to today where I will be hosting an event at the end of the month. Once again, I am in the process of cold calling appropriate companies.
I was advised to hire out this portion of my work by event organizer “Jim”.  I explained that as an entrepreneur, I hire out where I do not have talent — such as technical help. However, when it comes to cold calling, I have a knack for doing it and will generate additional interest in my company.
Jim wasn’t satisfied with my answer.
He asked what my response rate is from the recent round of cold calls. The first 10 calls produced a 30% positive response, but I knew it would improve. Jim backed off given 30% is a high rate.  After hearing my results, Jim asked, “How are you doing it?” Are you talking about just the event, providing a proposal, offering consulting…?

The second instruction I received on selling is to keep the initial contact very simple.
Focus on the one thing that is likely to catch attention followed by:

  • Ask if the other party has a minute upfront
  • Explain why you are calling
  • Ask permission to send information
  • Thank them very politely for their time
This simple conversation will often produce a “YES!”, as well as excellent potential for gaining an appointment if that is what you are after.
When you reach the appointment stage, get to know your prospect on a personal level, but first get their viewpoint as to why they agreed to meet. This is a great starting point for a serious sales conversation:
  • Let your prospect do 60% of the talking.
  • Listen carefully and ask questions on anything you do not quite understand.
  • Ask permission to take notes.
On important matters, be certain to capture their words. This is a critical sales technique that will save the sale should any conflict arise. They will appreciate your careful attention to details.
One of the biggest errors people make is to jump on the one item or service in which the prospect expressed interest.  Don’t be too anxious to make the sale and miss out on the potential of selling additional offerings or quantity. Additional offerings or even locations may be in need too, but the anxious salesperson will never know.
It never hurts to ask, “How many?”!

Finally, when it is your turn to speak, acknowledge what was shared with you. Ask permission before you begin zeroing in on an explanation of your offerings. Give a 2-minute overview of everything you have to offer. You will be amazed by how sometimes budget begins to grow. This is how you build sales and sell far more successfully than most.
Providing value and working from a place of helping others will help you win business far more frequently. These strategies are proven to work best for putting you on the wave of the Smooth Sale!


Elinor Stutz
http://www.futuresimple.com

1 σχόλιο: