Σάββατο 12 Μαΐου 2012

The ROI of sharing

Don’t you just love it when you learn something accidentally? I sure do, because those brushes with serendipity can have a huge impact on your long-term success.
Let me explain what I mean by sharing a quick story:
Some time ago, I was approached by some colleagues in charge of managing of a different part of HSN’s digital business. They felt that there was a lot of opportunity to leverage SEO – one of the channels that I manage – in order to drive incremental revenue and market penetration. I agreed, and decided to pitch in some of my marketing budget in order to bring in a new vendor that could help capture some of that SEO opportunity for this particular portion of the business.

To be fair, I felt that there was something in it for me (e.g. generating incremental natural search revenue in aggregate) and so I didn’t think much about sharing my resources. However, what I didn’t realize at the time was how this relatively small sharing gesture would result in a significant surge in collaboration, implementation, and general advocacy on the part of this particular division. In fact, the amount of effort and emphasis that this group provided extended beyond SEO and into one of the other channels that I manage.
And the result has been obvious lift in ROI for both of these channels as well as a much stronger sense of rapport between my team and this parallel business group.
I share this because it frankly had not occurred to me that the simple act of sharing resources could have such a profound reciprocal impact. And looking back, I’ve come to realize that this phenomenon is not simply limited to sharing marketing budget. It could be sharing an agency resource, or helping build a presentation, or sharing employee or intern resources, etc.
I think that a lot of us marketers get stuck in the weeds of tactical implementation and strategic planning. That creates the potential for a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to allocating resources (e.g. what can we do to support and grow our own channels). If you fear that you might perhaps be falling victim to this mindset, take a moment to step back and think through ways that you and your team can add value to your counterparts within the organization (and if you’re on the agency or freelance side of the coin, advise your clients to do so).
As I recently found out, this can pay huge dividends when your counterparts decide to return the favor.

Hugo Guzman
http://www.hugoguzman.com

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου